What I like best about pancakes is that they are super easy to make from scratch. And you can add healthier ingredients for less of a guilt factor. You can add:
- Flax seed
- Rolled oats
- Whole wheat flour
- Any but flour for a gluten-free option
- Sweet potato purée
- Chia seeds
- Etc, etc, etc
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest (surprise!)
- 1 cup of blueberries (more or less depending on your preference)
- Cooking spray or butter for griddle pan (I prefer butter because it gives my pancakes a crispy, buttery edge)
- In a mug (or measuring glass), add your white vinegar to the milk and let sit. This will give you instant buttermilk!
- In a medium bowl, whisk together your flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add in your melted butter and egg and mix until well blended.
- Pour in your buttermilk (be sure to check that milk has curdled) and mix well.
- Lastly, add in your lemon zest and stir until well incorporated into the batter.
- Heat your griddle or pan to medium-high and spray with cooking spray or butter.
- Using 1/4 c measuring cup to spoon out batter and pour onto griddle/pan.
- Drop blueberries by handful onto pancake.
- When edges begin to crisp and air bubbles form (about 1-2 minutes), carefully flip pancake.
- Cook another 1-2 minutes and remove from griddle or pan.
- Continue cooking pancakes 1/4 cup of batter at a time, dropping blueberries onto pancakes as they cook.
- Serve with a pat of butter and your favorite syrup.
How do you like your pancakes? Let us know! We’re always looking for new recipes to try!